I Get Knocked Down But I Get Up Again (You’re Never Gonna Keep Me Down)
Does anyone else remember that crazy song from the 90’s?
As much as I might want to get it out of my head, the repetitive line plays over and over sometimes – when I’ve made a mistake, or I’m not feeling well or any number of circumstances that could hold me back if I don’t adopt the right mindset.
Using positive self talk is a constructive way to handle difficult circumstances in life.
You are what you believe. So if you believe every setback is an enormous failure, it’s going to cripple your ability to recover and move forward constructively.
Motivational Quotes And Power Phrases
Maybe you have a power phrase, encouraging verse, or motivational quote that gives you confidence and helps you get up again (when you get knocked down).
Here are some of my favorites. Feel free to adopt them as your own! 😉
- Carpe diem (seize the day.) -Horace
- Life is a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller
- Here is the test to find whether your mission on Earth is finished: if you’re alive, it isn’t. -Richard Bach
- Stand strong, believe in yourself, chase your dreams.
- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. -Philippians 4:13
- The struggle you’re in today is developing the strength you need tomorrow.
- Beauty from ashes.
- Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right. -Henry Ford
- Strive for progress, not perfection.
- My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. -2 Corinthians 12:9
- Breathe in. Breathe out.
- You are stronger than you think.
- You got this!
- Never never never give up. -Winston Churchill
Dark Chocolate and Butter Cookies
The past few days have been tiresome here. In addition to my husband being out-of-town for a conference, the kids have had all sorts of activities going on. Then 3 of the 4 ended up sick.
So, last night when things were finally winding down for the day (and I was completely exhausted) I decided to take a hot bath with some of my favorite essential oils. Because I’d been so busy I fed the kids leftover pork chops and cranberry orange stuffing for dinner. I didn’t eat because I was busy tying up loose ends from the day.
Later I got hungry and made an unhealthy, but tasty, dinner for myself. I’m (slightly) embarrassed to admit that I had a big blob of peanut butter with dark chocolate and homemade gluten-free butter cookies.
Needless to say, I was sugared up when I went to bed and didn’t sleep well either. (Logical consequences, ha!)
Even though I research, study and (do my best to) live healthfully, I mess up sometimes.
We all do, in all sorts of ways.
But when we do, we need to train ourselves to think about how to turn things around and get back on track to where we want to be.
Don’t beat yourself up about mistakes. (I’m talking to myself here too!)
Recite your power phrase, favorite verse or mantra and own it.
Play your favorite upbeat song. We can all train ourselves to recover more quickly from mistakes and difficult circumstances which are beyond our control.
I’d love to hear how you recover from difficulties or mistakes. Do you have a favorite motivational quote, power phrase or verse that helps you stay focused on your goals? Anything else that helps you?