What’s Oil Pulling?
Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic Indian tradition of swishing or “pulling” oil in the mouth. It cleanses and pulls harmful toxins out of the body.
Did you know that bad bacteria can enter the bloodstream through our mouths and cause illness and disease? Oil pulling kills Streptococcus mutans bacteria which cause tooth decay (1). It is affordable, and is also a great teeth whitener!
Oil Pulling Can Help If You Have Mercury Fillings
In recent years it has reemerged in the field of holistic health. In the midst of my battle with Lyme disease 2 different doctors recommended I start oil pulling daily because of my struggle with detoxing and the fact that I had mercury fillings in my mouth. Mercury is highly toxic, and after hearing this suggestion a few times, I finally had them removed a couple of months ago.
If you’re interested in getting your fillings replaced with natural fillings like I did you can search online for a “holistic dentist”. Dr. Robert Sexauer is the dentist who was recommended to me and he did a great job! He’s a very kind and intelligent man who cares about his patient’s total health and is great to explain the process. Because of what I’ve learned, if our kids ever need to get a filling I will make sure the fillings are natural and not made of mercury.
Each day I do oil pulling for 20 minutes. This may sound like a long time, but once you get used to the process it’s not bad at all. I actually look forward to it because I know I’m doing something that can improve my health (and having a brighter smile isn’t bad either).
I like to use organic coconut oil, but you can also use sesame or olive oil. Many sources say to use one tablespoon, but I’ve found that taking a couple of teaspoons is plenty.
How To Do Oil Pulling:
- Put 1 or 2 teaspoons (or up to 1 tablespoon) of oil in your mouth. If you use coconut oil, because it is solid at room temperature, you may need to chew it a bit at first to help to get it in a liquid form.
- Swish the oil in your mouth for 20 minutes. I set the timer on my phone so that I don’t have to keep checking the clock. This way I’m able to get other things done while I’m swishing. The swishing needs to be hard enough to pull the oil through your teeth, but not so hard that it causes you stress or jaw pain. Using a gentle swishing movement is perfect! While you’re swishing make sure not to gargle or swallow any of the oil! Doing so would put the harmful toxins back into your body.
- Spit the oil out in the trash. Do not spit in the sink because this could cause your plumbing to become clogged (and that would not be good!).
- Rinse your mouth out with water, swishing well. Repeat until oil is gone.
- Brush your teeth well.
- Look in the mirror and enjoy your clean, white smile!
Oil pulling has many benefits and is a great practice to add to your healthy living regimen. I want to encourage you to give a try and see what you think. I’d love to from you about your experiences with oil pulling too!
Have you tried oil pulling? Please let me know what you think about it in the comments section below.
This post contains affiliate links. You can read our Affiliate Policy here.